I'm working to end HIV/AIDS with AIDS/LifeCycle!
From June 2-9, 2016, I'm volunteering my time (and some days off) with AIDS/LifeCycle. It's a 7-day, 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to make a world of difference in the lives of people living with HIV and AIDS.
While my knees won't allow me to do the bike ride itself, I volunteer as a Roadie and work with the Sweep team to assist all of the riders while on the ride. This year I'm proud to be returning as co-capta of the Sweep team as the NorCal Sweep Captain. Sweep is a team of nearly 60 working in teams of two driving along the route and picking up riders who need a lift to the next rest stop for a mechanical or medical issue.
You might be asking, what does my donation do? Your help does make a difference (no matter how small!) -- here's what some of your donations can do:
- $250 can help provide ten Rapid HIV Antibody test to test ten people at Magnet, and other foundation sites.
- $175 can help provide case management for 15 HIV-positive clients who are homeless or at-risk for homelessness.
- $150 can help provide 1,000 syringes through the street-based Syringe Access Service.
- $100 can help provide the travel cost for a Treatment Advocacy Coordinator to attend the medical appointments of 25 clients, providing moral support and to help clients advocate for themselves.
- $25 can help a Financial Benefits counselor to assist one person in navigating the private and public benefits systems, including Medi-Cal, Medicare, CARE/HIPP, short-term disability, and Social Security.
- $10 can help provide 143 condoms to our clients at SFAF foundation sites
Help me support AIDS/LifeCycle by giving what you can, no matter how small. If you want to give more but can't donate all at once? You can spread your donation across 10 payments. All donations to ALC are tax deductible, so remember to save your receipt for tax time!
We'll keep riding until AIDS and HIV are a thing of the past.