AIDS/LifeCycle is truly the most powerful vector of change that I know in the efforts to bring an end to the transmission of HIV and to educate future generations about the power of activism, community, integrity, persistence and commitment. I have personally invested my own money, and will spend the next 5 months training to ride my bike for 7 days to raise awareness and funding for the Los Angeles LGBT Center as it continues to expand its services to a larger and large community.
As I have gotten older, and particularly in these times, LGBTQ advocacy has become important to me. However, HIV/AIDS is an issue that transcends sexuality. On global level, this ride to me represents the larger struggle the gay community, many low-income communities, and communities of color face dealing with this disease every day. I feel it's incredibly important that we in the gay community and our allies don't forget the effects of HIV/AIDS has had on our community over the years, and that we do not become complacent in combating the disease. The services provided as a result of this event mean the world to those who receive them, and your support means the world to me.
I am proud to be participating in the ride because:
• AIDS/LifeCycle introduced me to some of the kindest and most generous humans on this planet.
• AIDS/LifeCycle brings together people from all walks of life in a common fight to End AIDS.
• AIDS/LifeCycle serves to expand the awareness and inclusion of each community through which it passes.
• AIDS/LifeCycle reminds me of those who I have lost to AIDS over the years.
• AIDS/LifeCycle is a tribute to the folks who have fought for the rights of the LGBTQ+ community.
• AIDS/LifeCycle is a safe space unlike any that can be experienced outside of those 7 days.
• AIDS/LifeCycle provides vital services to improve the health and wellbeing of our community.
Please consider a donation to my ride. Below is jsut a sampling of what your gift could provide:
• $1,000 covers a full year of medical supply costs for 40 patients
• $1,000 funds one client receiving Post Exposure Prophylaxis
• $250 provides Rapid HIV Antibody tests to 20 clients
• $180 provides HIV prevention counseling sessions to 20 teenagers
• $150 provides comprehensive HIV/STD testing to 1 client