Thank you for joining me in this cause!
If you know me, you know that AIDS education/prevention is a cause that has always been close to my heart. From June 3 - June 9 over 3,000 cyclists and roadies will be participating in AIDS LifeCycle, a 545-mile bike ride from SF to LA to raise funds for the life-saving services offered by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. This year, I'll be one of them!
Riding a bike from San Francisco to Los Angeles over 7 days is a pretty insane undertaking. I started training for the ride in March and I've been kicking my own ass every single weekend to get ready for it. I have a lot of moments when I wonder why I'm doing this - why am I working so hard? Why am I on a 7am BART train to go to ride in Orinda? Why aren't I in bed? Why did I sign up for this?!?
But then I remember the impact of your donations. Just look at these numbers:
- $10,000 provides counseling services for more than 250 clients in one month at the LA LGBT Center and SF AIDS Foundation. Counselors help with substance use, intimate partner violence, mental health and STI/HIV education and prevention;
- $5,000 covers the cost of one full year worth of lab testing for 18 people who live with HIV. Most patients need 4 tests per year in order to monitor their CD-4, CD-8 counts, and viral loads for managing treatment;
- $1,000 covers the cost of providing Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for one person. Within 72 hours of exposure to HIV, PEP can prevent someone from becoming permanently infected;
- $250 covers the cost of administering 20 rapid antibody HIV tests at a testing site. This is the easiest way for people to get tested and know their status;
- $180 covers the cost of providing HIV prevention counseling for a group of up to 20 teenagers;
- $150 covers comprehensive HIV/STI testing for one patient;
- $100 covers the cost of Hepatitis A and B vaccinations. Coinfection of HIV and Hepatits makes treating HIV much more difficult;
- $30 covers the cost of STI treatment for one paitent;
- $10 buys 114 prophylactics. Which, if used correctly, prevent the transmission of HIV;
The services provided as a result of this event mean the world to the people who receive them, and your support means the world to me.
Together, we're all working to make HIV/AIDS a thing of the past. Will you join me by making a donation today?
PARTICIPANT NO. 4642