Thank you for taking the time to come to my page and joining me in this cause!
From June 2nd - June 8th, over 3,000 Cyclists, Roadies and Virtual Cyclists will be participating in AIDS/LifeCycle, a 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise funds for the life-saving services offered by San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. This year, I’ll be one of them!
This will be my first ALC ride and cycling 545 will be a great personal challenge and feat in itself, but since this is my first ALC ride, I want to make it about more than just a personal challenge for myself. I want to tribute this ride to a friend who is very near and dear to me who happens to be HIV positive. Before meeting him, I didn’t know anyone who was positive. I was 20 years old when we met, and now, six years later, I am a bit ashamed to admit how little I knew and understood HIV. As we became closer friends, he opened up to me about his status and the constant stigma he has faced and still faces to this day. Looking at him and seeing the sadness and fear of rejection that he still has because of his past experiences was extremely heartbreaking. From that moment on, I made it a point to not only educate myself but also those around me in the hope that I and those around me would never make others feel like other people had made my friend feel in the past. No one should have to go through the stigma associated with being HIV positive. ALC’s mission is not only to combat the disease itself, but also the stigma surrounding it as well. Please help me a part of the fight to end this disease and the stigma associated with it.
I understand that not everyone can donate, but if you are unable to donate and would still like to help me with this great cause, please share this with your loved ones and please know that no matter the size of your donation, it will immediately go to good use in this fight. My personal goal is 5k. Below are some examples of how your donation can be used in this fight:
- $15,000 provides comprehensive sexual health services, including HIV and STD tests, treatment, education, and counseling to 100 clients
- $10,000 covers 3 months of psychosocial case management for 300 patients
- $7,500 provides a nurse for one month to administer STD screening and treatments for 400 clients
- $5,000 covers a full year of laboratory testing for 11 patients
- $1,000 covers a full year of medical supply costs for 40 patients
- $1,000 funds one client receiving Post Exposure Prophylaxis
- $250 provides Rapid HIV Antibody tests to 20 clients
- $180 provides HIV prevention counseling sessions to 20 teenagers
- $150 provides comprehensive HIV/STD testing to 1 client
- $30 covers the treatment medication for 1 client infected with an STD
- $10 buys 114 condoms that the Health Education and Prevention Program will distribute
The services provided as a result of this event mean the world to those who receive them, and your support means the world to me.
Thank you so much for coming to my page and helping me with this cause!