On June 2nd - June 8th, over 3,000 Cyclists, Roadies and Virtual Cyclists will be participating in AIDS/LifeCycle, a 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise funds for the life-saving services offered by San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. This year, I’ll be one of them!
This is my 3rd time doing the AIDSLifeCycle. Doing the ride is one of my most favorite experiences I have ever had as an adult. The reason why it is so powerful and moving to me is because the sense of love and belonging that emcompasses the ride. The energy and impact of the ride encourages such a beautiful enviroment. It is a place that stigma, hate, and discrimination do not exist.
I am riding to help eradicate stigma everywhere else.
There is a cyclical relationship between stigma and HIV; people who experience stigma and discrimination are marginalised and made more vulnerable to HIV, while those living with HIV are more vulnerable to experiencing stigma and discrimination.
Myths and misinformation increase the stigma and discrimination surrounding HIV and AIDS. Roughly one in eight people living with HIV is being denied health services because of stigma and discrimination.
Adopting a human rights approach to HIV and AIDS is in the best interests of public health and is key to eradicating stigma and discrimination.
Here is where you come in! We need your help!
With the resources provided by the LA LGBT CENTER and THE SF AIDS FOUNDATION
Protect people who are living with HIV/AIDS.
Empower people to know their rights.
Educate to address fears and misinformation.
Include populations who need healthcare and access to medication.
Below is an idea for what your donation will help with!
- $7,500 provides a nurse for one month to administer STD screening and treatments for 400 clients
- $5,000 covers a full year of laboratory testing for 11 patients
- $1,000 covers a full year of medical supply costs for 40 patients
- $1,000 funds one client receiving Post Exposure Prophylaxis
- $250 provides Rapid HIV Antibody tests to 20 clients
- $180 provides HIV prevention counseling sessions to 20 teenagers
- $150 provides comprehensive HIV/STD testing to 1 client
- $30 covers the treatment medication for 1 client infected with an STD
Thank you for helping make HIV/AIDS a thing of the past!